"In today's competitive world of youth sports many adults lose their focus and
forget the word youth. Yes we need to challenge the young athletes of
today, however when a coach goes too far to promote individuals before the team
it is often referred to as Daddy Ball. This can happen at any level, by
any coach regardless if they have a child on the team or not."
"Daddy Ball Lies:
This is one of the biggest problems and the main reason leagues cannot field a lot of strong teams, that can compete on the national level.
Here are the typical DADDY BALL LIES or Daddy Ballers
1) It’s about the kids: really then how come your daughter plays every inning of every game even though she is one of the worst players on the team.
2) I’m just a volunteer: Bull, you volunteered to make sure your darling daughter played every inning of every game
3) We will get into the better tournaments: usually not the case, they get into the tournaments that they believe they have a decent chance of winning most games, and then tell the parents what great teams they beat, even though most experts
would agree it’s a weak tournament.(Or they give you some lame brain excuse, as to why they couldn’t get the team into a certain tournament)
4) We are cheap to play for; only $500, as the season goes on, you find out that everything is al-cart and you have spent an addition $4000.
5) Its about friendship: Daddy Ball Coaches play the friendship card. Daddy Coach encourages his second base daughter (who isn’t that good) to ask the new pitcher on the team, to do sleep overs. The purpose to play the friendship card.
6) Daddy Ball Coach (whose daughter is not that good) asks the new pitchers father to help coach, even though the new pitchers daddy never played and has no ability at all to teach the game.
7) Daddy Ball Coach “we know people” yea, so does everyone else
8) Where going to take this team right up through to 18U Gold Ball. This won’t happen; most teams are a revolving door(year to year). Even if the team stays together for a few years, the real strong 18U Daddy teams will pick your roster apart, happens all the time, every year.
Teams are loaded with talented girls (at every level) that can play and compete successfully at the national level; it’s just spread out in each age group. The bad part, most Daddy Coaches have to be really really nice guys, or fear losing players. The problem with being so sicken sweet all the time, it makes their girls mental cupcakes. By the time they do get the college, they have zero ability to handle sitting the bench, which they will do. So the next thing you know, your college
daughter is home by Thanksgiving. Why did this happen? Because of Mommy & Daddy needed to see darling daughter play every inning of every game at the travel ball level."